Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tuesdays Tips and Tricks - Cleaning your Copic Markers

Judy here, my turn to to share my tip for Tips and Tricks Tuesday.

I have a large investment in Copic Markers and refills probably in excess of  200 markers. Like any art tool or supply I need to maintain them.  If your neck of your pen is not kept clean your lid will not fit tight and the ink may dry up. If one of these dried flakes drop on your art work it may make smug and ruin your project. This has happened to me.

I did some research on the Internet for advice on how to look clean my markers. and tried several of the recommendations and products suggested.  I thought I would share with you what works best for me.

Most sites I visited recommended that you use Copic Cleaner to clean the body, neck and lid of the pen.  I have found using a 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, a more reasonable priced alternative to clean my markers. I purchased my  91% Isopropyl Alcohol from a drug store. If I have a small job I have use Copic Blending Solution but it is very expensive to use all the time.  I did try Nail Polish Remover and it did clean my markers  but I was worried that I would get it on my nib.

I used a Q-tip or a twisted piece of paper towel dipped in cleaner to clean inside of the cap, neck and the handle of the pen.

For a clogged nib I have soaked the nib in blending solution and have had some success fixing the problem.  It does depend  if the clogged pen is from the ink or if you have made a mistake and touched something that has caused the clog such as another medium like paint or a coated paper. I have done that more than once. Most of the time for a clogged nib I just replaced the nib.

I hope you find this information useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! We look forward to reading your comments!